Re: Topband: CAT5 cable as feeder for reversable Beverage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CAT5 cable as feeder for reversable Beverage
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:09:26 -0700
On 4/14/2011 10:33 AM, Bill Wichers wrote:
> There is a test used when installing this cable commercially called
> "PowerSum NEXT". If you look that up you should be able to get an idea
> of the coupling between pairs.

These are most likely to be single-number values that average the
crosstalk over a broad frequency range, but the actual performance will
vary as a function of frequency, and with the quality of the cable. I
haven't done measurements, but I would expect cross-talk to be lower
(better) at 2 MHz than at higher frequencies.  Published loss data for
CAT5/6 shows   numbers good enough for use with RX antennas.

That said, the primary consideration is probably what Herb noted about
how well (poorly) indoor-rated cable is likely to stand up to outdoor
conditions.  Although I love CAT5/6/7 for lots of uses, I wouldn't use
it for outdoor runs to antennas.

The best choice for Beverages and other RX antennas is low-cost coax
like RG58s or RG59s, with construction that makes them rated for the
outdoor conditions where you live.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK