Re: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver

To: "'topBand List'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver
From: "VE6WZ_Steve" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:08:53 -0700
> Anyone using the IC7800 for top band?
> Martin
> VE7MM/G4EZG

Martin:

I purchased a new IC-7800 and had it side-by-side with the FT-1000d for
almost three years. (7800 purchase Sept. 2006-SOLD Aug 2009)
The 7800 was the latest version with all roofing filters.
It was set up with **INSTANT A-B switching**.  A toggle switch operates a
relay box to switch all peripherals between radios.

I tried for three years to like that radio for weak signal DX but as noted
above, I sold the radio and have replaced it with he FTdx-9000D.
The Icom is long gone simply because compared to the FT-1000D (with the
reverse modified APF) it could not copy the very weak signals bubbling at
the noise that the Yaesu could.

This report is all about the lack of an effective APF in the 7800.

Before I am flamed, PLEASE PLEASE if you have never used the "original"
Ft-1000d APF and or a "reverse modified" APF on a newer FT-1000d, then this
report might not be relevant to you. This report has nothing do with the
overall build quality, SSB capabilities, scopes, digital functions etc. The
fact is, these radios are great in every other regard.  Also, if you never
turn on the APF, don't typically use an APF to peak weak signal DX, or think
an APF is too "ringy",  then this report is not relevant, and the IC-7800
will be a fine radio for your needs. Not everyone likes an APF.

The DX signals I am talking about are those which are JUST AT or bubbling
BELOW the noise level. These are the very weak signals which are basically
ESP and you would normally just tune by. ****For all signals ABOVE the
noise, both radios could copy equally well.*****
Those very weak signals at the noise will "pop" out when the APF is engaged
on the FT-1000d, but will remain unreadable on the 7800 with or without the
APF.
I ended up adding an external AUTEK audio peak filter to the Icom to emulate
the Yaesu APF, and was able to reproduce readability between
radios.....hmmmm I'm adding a cica 1980's analog audio filter box to a $10k
radio??

By the end of year two, the IC-7800 was not being turned on, and the radio
of choice was the FT-1000d, simply because for the weak ones, it was better.
It didn't make sense to have a $10k radio sitting on the bench unused, so it
was sold and has been replaced with the FT-dx-9000d which is now the only
radio of choice. It does have an effective APF and can copy all signals
equally to the old FT-1000d. Also, the FT-dx-9000D is perfect for diversity
RX which is used all the time on 160m which is just like magic. I would
never go back from using diversity RX on 160.

Please understand, I have no interest in Yaesu or Icom. The IC-7800 was a
great radio in all other regards with a fantastic "lab-quality" feel, great
DSP and very solid front-end  (DSP noise reduction is better than the
FTdx-9000), I had NO problems with the 7800...no final's problems etc.
I DID NOT want to sell this radio and take a $4K loss by selling it on
e-Bay, but for myself, this radio was deficient for very weak signal DXing.
Over two years of testing, I found MANY MANY occasions when I could copy
weak DX on the Yaesu, which were simply not readable on the 7800.

I would NOT recommend this radio for weak signal DXing if you are looking
for an effective APF.
(yes I tried to communicate this to Icom and was met with a deafening
silence)

de Steve VE6WZ
http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/intro.htm

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK