Re: Topband: Shunt-fed tower vs. T-vertical

To: "Greg - ZL3IX" <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt-fed tower vs. T-vertical
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:34:51 -0700
Greg - ZL3IX wrote:
> Hi Julius,
>
> The SteppIR is not difficult to modify so that all of the elements act
> as top loading.  I did that to my antenna in 2005, and there is an old
> file on the SteppIR Yahoo group showing how I did this.  There was
> absolutely no effect whatsoever on the performance on the HF bands.
>
> 73, Greg, ZL3IX

There are 10-32 nuts that hold down the "brushes".
There is enough extra thread to get a spade lug and
a nylok nut on top of each existing nut (don't
unscrew the existing nuts and screw up the brushes).
Be sure to dress the wire so that there is no chance
it can touch the take up reel and stop it.  The
spring is fairly weak.

The detuning effect of elements grounded to the boom
doesn't occur if you only run a wire from the center to
the boom, as opposed to using a plumbers delight boom
to element mount.

Rick N6RK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK