Topband: Receiving Four Square Array and a Farmers Fence

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receiving Four Square Array and a Farmers Fence
From: Chester Latawiec <chetlat@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:33:16 -0400
I'm in the process of layout and installing a "Receive Four Square System" from
DX Engineering.

On one side of the the four square I have a fence that runs several hundred
feet in  a north south direction (parallel to two of the receive antennas).
The fence is a "farmers" type metal fence which is composed of steel wire
making a grid that's about 5" X 12".  Each grid is of twisted wire construction
and at present is rusty as old get out.  It is not electrified and is
approximately 75' away from the receive array.  As far as I can tell it is not
grounded.

My question and concern is what effect it will have, if any, on the azimuth
receive pattern of the array.

73
Chet
VE3CFK