Re: Topband: Spam:****, Re: Shunt-fed tower vs. T-vertical

To: r_bakalov@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Spam:****, Re: Shunt-fed tower vs. T-vertical
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:11:40 -0400

Rudy Bakalov wrote:
> If the cage does the radiation, does that mean that the cage has to be the
> entire length of the tower? That would be a no-go for me as there will be 2
> additional rotating yagis on the tower, at 68' and 31'.

No the cage can be shorter and actually end at the 30 foot level...but
you will have to check the base impedance to design the proper match.
> I have LOTS of space. How far from the tower should one end of the T be to
> avoid the interaction?

At least more than a half wave to reduce interaction especially if the
tower is at or near resonance the way it is...or less if you can
decouple it at RF.

> Also, if I remember correctly from my physics classes, perpendicular wires
> (top of the T and the tower) do not interact; what kind of interaction did
> you experience that I should be aware of?
>

> The horizontal wires of the "T" are not doing much of the radiation
> due to the cancelation effect. That is why a T is a great antenna as
> the horizontal radiation is minimized.  The imblance that is sure to
> occur is by the close spaced support metal tower in terms of a
> wavelength or less.You could conceivably detune the tower at 1.8 but
> this gets complicated.  There are lots of papers, i.e. NAB and IEEE on
> detuning large metal structures such as power line supports to
> minimize the interaction.  But IMHO the best thing for you is to go
> with your tower as you should be able to deal with the match presented
> even with a shorter cage below the bottom beam.

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK