Re: Topband: K3NA Loop Array

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K3NA Loop Array
From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:16:50 -0700
Consider me to also not be an expert either in Beverage antenna theory, or in
wave propagation.    I wonder however whether some of the idea that the Beverage
works best over poor ground dates back to the original development of the
antenna, when it was used for low frequencies that were propagated by ground
wave that had no horizontal component to the wavefront.  This would not produce
much signal on a Beverage antenna that is dependent upon that horizontal
component, unless the wavefront was passing over a poor ground that would cause
it to tilt, introducing a horizontal component.

Most of us use Beverage antennas for DXing on medium frequencies, and the
signals we receive are skywave.  Even if the original wavefront had no
horizontal component, by the time the ionosphere has finished with it, and
delivered it to our receiver, there may be quite a reasonable horizontal
component to it.  One would expect that a Beverage antenna should therefore be
able to generate a signal, even with quite a good ground underneath.

Standing by for corrections to my perception...

73,

Nick
VE7DXR

Quoting rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com: