Topband: Do beverage antennas work in dense wood?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Do beverage antennas work in dense wood?
From: Michael Zürch <dg1cmz@freenet.de>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:28:12 +0200
Hello Topband-fellows,

I hope this question wasn't asked too often before. At our contest QTH
we always had poor ears on the lowbands due to a lack of RX antennas.
K9AY and EWE didn't work well due to it is a hilltop location with poor
ground.

We found a 290m beverage on a clear ridge towards QTF 30° working vy
well on 160/80/40m. Since we got clearance now to install beverages more
or less permanently it looks promising to install some more of them.

However except the ridge at 30°, where a road runs parallel, all other
directions are covered with dense wood. The wood is not cleared after
storms up there, so this makes a dense mess of wood all around the QTH.
The good thing is that this keeps away people that could walk into a
beverage or complain about too much wires around.

Now my question is: would a beverage work if it is put in a height of
about 3m along trees and passing through a lot of garbage wood?

How much does it effect its operation if its mounted at different
heights at different plances, e.g. from 2-4m height changing with the
points to fix the beverage.

According to
http://www.bavarian-contest-club.de/projects/beverage/bev_script.pdf a
lenght of about 180m would be ideal for us to have good performance on
80/40 and still usability on 160m. Also we can't make it too long, since
the terrain slopes fast, especially towards to the US.

Second question: how much does it effect the performance of a beverage
when it is mounted on a sloping hill? (I speak of a height difference
over the lenght of the beverage of maybe 20-40m)

Of course the final performance must be tested in place, but if somebody
can tell me it won't work at all I can save the time to put it up, which
would be a nasty task up there.

Thanks for your answers in advance,

73, Michael DG1CMZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK