Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver us

To: mstangelo@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver users and testers]
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:47:54 -0400
mstangelo@comcast.net wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been enjoying this discussion of "non-competition-grade" transceivers.
>
> My base station radio is a K3 but I do lots of operating on the road and on
> trips and am looking for a small transceiver with good signal handling
> capabilitues on CW and well as effective DSP to help with the eliminaton of
> automobile generated QRN.
>
> Does anyone have experience with the following:
>
> Icom IC-7200
> Kenwood TS-480
> Yaesu FT-897
>
> Sherwood doesn't evaluate the smaller radios and I've looked at the receive
> 2khz and 5khz measurements in the ARRL Product reviews. None compare to the
> top of the line radios; the FT897 has the worst perfomance but the 7200 and
> 480 seem to have the best specs for smaller radios.
>
> I also considered the K2 but I also do lots of utility listening with the
> radio.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback.
>
> 73,
>
> Mike N2MS

Mike,

I remember Earl Cunningham, K6SE (SK) did a comparison between the K-2
and the Icom 746PRO and came to the conclusion that the Icom 746 Pro was
a much better weak signal performer.  At that time, before the K-3 the
K-2 was hard to beat.  The K2 has some other down sides, like size and
ergonomics, and multiple punch function buttons.  In my case I had two
K2's here from a guest contest op and did not feel like I had a radio in
front of me but rather a piece of complicated hand built test
equipment.that looked like a kids toy. I think the K3 with its diversity
RX has some real advantages on weak signal reception but for the same
price I could get two 746 Pros and send split audio to each ear....at
least I would have a spare.  There will be a new Icom coming out soon.
I think Icom marketing realized they were selling a great  radio at a
fair price (with a rebate and free power supply) that was just to good
and also potentially competing with their high end ham radio plans.  Why
would you want to spend 5 to 6K unless it significantly performed
better? And why is the increment for a different new radio upgrade
always one , two, or three thousand dollars? Icom had it right with the
746 Pro but some marketeer had a better idea, it appears.

I never though I would see the day when a good transceiver would cost as
much as a fuel efficient compact car from the same country and with
probably more engineering and electronics in it....but here we are and
that day has arrived.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK