Re: Topband: 'Spud Gun'

To: <ws6x@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 'Spud Gun'
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:02:34 -0500
I use a bow and arrow, along with a fishing reel and mono line.  Put a weight
on the tip of the arrow, and tie the fish line to the tail.  100' plus height
is no problem, usually in one shot.  I can usually put the line over two trees
if they are available, so that a 160 inv L vertical and horizontal portion can
be hung with one shot.  The weighted arrow has come straight down to the ground
without getting hung up every time.

The Spud Gun looks like an effective method.  I used sling shots and could not
get the line as high as with the arrow, or get it placed with the same
accuracy.

73 Charlie N8RR

> From: ws6x@comcast.net
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:49:12 -0700
> Subject: Re: Topband: 'Spud Gun'
>

> ========================
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:07:37 -0300
> From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
> Subject: Re: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?-spud gun
>
> I'd love to see plans for that Spud Gun, Gary (or anyone)/.....I've been
> using a fishing rod for years but it's not entirely accurate and I've been
> "caught up" in the tops of trees more than once. I usually try to use some
> rocks taped to the end of my monofilament in case I have to yank and break
> it free.......then the rock drops to the ground. A spud gun sounds like the
> bees-knees.
> (and I could harmlessly target practice on the hoards of deer in the back
> field when not working on antennas! ;-) J/K ) Mike ve9aa .
> ,,,SNIP...
> I forget which month that Spud Gun was explained in QST, it was 1-2 years
> ago. I made one just like in the magazine but then I fiddled with the valve
> and made it a bit better. I then ordered a larger valve from Ebay. Either
> would work but I wanted a heavy duty version that would be sure to do
> anything I would ever ask of it. Minus the monofilament, that sucker would
> take down a deer at 300'...
>
> 73,
> Gary
> KA1J
>

> ===
> If anyone is interested, here's a spud gun -- I call it a "Squirrel Cannon"
> -- that I put together, borrowing from the best features of several designs.
> The unique feature about this design is that it uses a single, 10' piece of
> PVC. I've had a number of locals use this design with a lot of success.
>
> http://www.ws6x.com/ws6x_files/squirrel.html
>

> Enjoy,
>
> Jim, WS6X

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID27925::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:032010_1