Re: Topband: 'Spud Gun'

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 'Spud Gun'
From: "Jim - WS6X" <ws6x@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:49:12 -0700

========================

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:07:37 -0300
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?-spud gun

I'd love to see plans for that Spud Gun, Gary (or anyone)/.....I've been
using a fishing rod for years but it's not entirely accurate and I've been
"caught up" in the tops of trees more than once.  I usually try to use some
rocks taped to the end of my monofilament in case I have to yank and break
it free.......then the rock drops to the ground.  A spud gun sounds like the
bees-knees.
(and I could harmlessly target practice on the hoards of deer in the back
field when not working on antennas! ;-) J/K ) Mike ve9aa .
,,,SNIP...
I forget which month that Spud Gun was explained in QST, it was 1-2 years
ago. I made one just like in the magazine but then I fiddled with the valve
and made it a bit better. I then ordered a larger valve from Ebay. Either
would work but I wanted a heavy duty version that would be sure to do
anything I would ever ask of it. Minus the monofilament, that sucker would
take down a deer at 300'...

73,
Gary
KA1J

===
If anyone is interested, here's a spud gun -- I call it a "Squirrel Cannon"
-- that I put together, borrowing from the best features of several designs.
The unique feature about this design is that it uses a single, 10' piece of
PVC. I've had a number of locals use this design with a lot of success.

http://www.ws6x.com/ws6x_files/squirrel.html

Enjoy,

Jim, WS6X

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK