Re: Topband: RE66 in the SP test

To: Edward Swynar <gswynar@durham.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: RE66 in the SP test
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 06:52:33 -0800

Edward Swynar wrote:

> grid locator---FN03---twice. My personal pet peeve was those participants
> who responded to my transmissions with a quick & snappy single "EN98"  (for
> example): I engage in semi break-in here, and more often than not I'd miss
> the first letter of the other fellow's grid...if they'd take a nano-second &
> send it twice, I'd have had it, no problem! Hi Hi.

Maybe it's just me, but when someone comes back to me with a
transmission starting with "EN", my brain wants to decode that as an "R"
sent with an extra space after the first dit.  I actually hear this
affectation frequently during contests like Field Day and SS that
attract casual operators.  I don't know the origin of it, but I've been
hearing this since novice days, where it was sent as an "R" with an
extra long dash.  Can't do that with a keyer.  I guess it's morphed into
EN.

Rick N6RK

"160-meters is a band for men, not for sissies!" - SM5EDX