Re: Topband: Power Line Noise

To: <steve.root@culligan4water.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Power Line Noise
From: Arthur Delibert <radio75a3@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:53:41 -0500
Steve --

Sounds awful.  Check out the article in the September 1995 QST, "A Receiving
Antenna that Rejects Local Noise," by K6STI, and the companion, "A K6STI
Low-Noise Receiving Antenna for 80 and 160 Meters," by W6KUT.

I live in a noisy suburban location (but probably not as bad as yours).  I
built one of these antennas some years ago when I was a shortwave broadcast
DXer, and I could hear good audio from Indonesian regional stations on 90
meters that were nothing but weak carriers in the noise on other "low-noise"
antennas.

It's important that the antenna be as perfectly horizontal as you can make it.
I used the walls of an old garage on the property, which were nicely level.

Good luck!

--Art Delibert, KB3FJO

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/