Re: Topband: Power Line Noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Power Line Noise
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:38:29 +0000
So Old blue helped find noise sources that were a mile and a half away? I can't
begin to tell you all how discouraging that is....

The noise here is incredible. The K3 noise blanker, set to it's most aggressive
level, has no effect on it. I spent a year experimenting with the MFJ-1026 and
never was able to achieve any kind of a null, much less one that improved S/N
ratio. The noise sounds like a waterfall, it has no discernable characteristics
when seen on a 'scope. It sounds, acts, and looks like a solid object. I can
only conlcude that I'm surrounded by thousands of discrete noise sources. No
matter where I look there's noise. It can't be nulled because for any one you
might "phase out" there are hundreds that are at a different phase. Even a
receiving four-square is limited in usefullness, becasue it's still pointed AT
more noise.

I had always thought these sources had to be close to me. Now I realize that I
could spend the rest of my life running these things down, and I still won't be
able to hear much. Wow....

73 Steve K0SR

P.S. Dear Santa, please make all the DX louder this year hi hi.