Re: Topband: First JA !. . .NB report.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: First JA !. . .NB report.
From: Chuck Guenther <charles9415@att.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:44:26 -0600
Art wrote:

"Some of the same players (not all, the mix changes) just keep on QRMing
on. And teaching their acolytes how to jam. Thank goodness for superior
ops such as at TX3A and sometimes XR0Y that they persist in the face of
intentional jamming to make the QSO regardless!"

I agree that any intentional jamming is a "heinous practice," as you
say.  However, I'm not sure that all those calling out of turn are doing
so intentionally.

With the very deep QSB this morning, I found myself in murky waters.
I'm very much a novice on Topband, with much to learn about its unique
characteristics.  I was hearing TX3A very well at times-- but
intermittently-- due to the QSB.  I found myself timing the cycles of
QSB and estimating the probability of hearing a comeback as I weighed
each decision to call/ not call.   When I did call, I sent my callsign
twice, then paused to listen.  If I heard nothing, I'd call again. If I
still heard nothing, I'd just QRX, thinking that maybe the QSB took him
out of my limits of hearing.  However, a more aggressive operator might
just continue calling until he heard something.
I don't condone the latter approach-- indeed, I'd rather miss a new one
than to cause interference to others-- but the temptation is there.

73,
Chuck Guenther  NI0C