Re: Topband: qsling/contesting award collecting

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: qsling/contesting award collecting
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:36:27 -0300
re: 160m grievences,

Gentlemen,

It does not matter to which part of human kind we are referring ....there
will always be those that cheat and those
that do it the hard (honest) way. (and folks that complain, HI)
 Are there atheletes that take steroids?
 Are there race car pit crews that try to circumvent rules and put oxidizing
gel into the carbs after inspection?
 Are there people who cut in front of you at the line @ the grocery store?
;-)
(ad naseum).

If I compared my station to the likes of VE1ZZ, VE1ZJ, VY2ZM (K1ZM) I would
never enter a 160m contest.

Instead I prefer to revere those guys for the hard work they've done
building their stations and skills and enjoy contesting @ my own pace.   I
used to get "worked up" about it in the early to mid 90's when I contested
real hard (and lost a lot), but I don't anymore.

If I know a certain station is running 5kW or 10kW in W1 land, it will never
bother me that they beat me in a pileup or contest. Why should it?  I have
much more respect for guys that do it the hard way. (1.5kW or whatever your
license allows).

Some of you folks should visit VE1ZZ's place.  Now there's a guy who is (by
my estimation) not rich, but he's rich in spirit and has scrounged, scrimped
, saved and "jury rigged" and built a world class AMAZING antenna farm.  You
won't see any $100,000.00 antennas and towers there, yet he's one of the
first (or only) 160m (and HF) guy to make it into some rare DX's logbook.
He's done it the hard way.  I doubt you'd ever hear Jack complain that a W7
beat him out in a rare Asian DX pileup.  What's the point?

Enjoy 160m @ your own level/pace/station/QTH.  If you want to collect QSL
cards, you must pay the piper.  If you want to  WIN the contest, you'll have
to put up an enourmous amount of wire/aluminum, miles of ground wire etc.
and run full legal limit and be the best you can be.  Location dictates some
of what is possible.  Why complain?  You can't change geography !
I have yet to work a JA on 160m.....will I complain that Washington or
Oregon is too close? HARDLY !?! HI HI

Respectfully & with a smidge of tongue in cheek <tic>,

Mike VE9AA dit dit

Mike, Coreen & Corey Smith
699 Rte 616 Keswick Ridge
NB