Topband: The East Coast Advantage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: The East Coast Advantage
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:26:31 -0400
         Does anyone else notice the similarity in these comments?  :-)

K9YC:
 > while we can HEAR east coast stations loud and clear
hours before our sunset, they don't hear us (or don't WANT to hear us)
because they're listening NE for Qs that yield a lot more points.

K1FZ:
 > Here in mid coast Maine, it has a lot to do with a lower noise
floor.   With
Beverage antennas, DX is often Q-5
way before sunset.  The problem, - with in darkness high noise, and qrm on
the other side, they rarely hear us very early.

         Bruce has it right in his last sentence, which this holds
true whether you are in W6, W1, EU or JA.  You can *always* hear
stations to your East well before your sunset, yet they may not hear
you because of higher QRN and QRM in full darkness.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV