Topband: Aluminum wire radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Aluminum wire radials
From: Red Haines <redhaines@acegroup.cc>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:58:41 -0500
Soil chemistry is the key to selecting radial wire that does not
deteriorate in the soil.  Aluminum cannot tolerate alkaline soil, pH
greater than 7.0.  Iron, zinc, and copper cannot tolerate acidic soil,
pH less than 7.0  I expect that any of them tolerate soil of the wrong
pH for a moderate time if the pH is close to 7.0.  I've had copper in
soil with pH 6.8 for over ten years, now.  The radials were not buried;
they were just placed on top of the soil and the grass grew around
them.  That may have slowed the chemical reaction.

Regards, Red