Re: Topband: Aluminum radials?

To: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Aluminum radials?
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:26:54 -0600
Ken
I second all Pete's comments. I've been buying 17 gage in 1/4 and 1/2
mile rolls for some years. It works very well as long as a couple things
are attended to.

As Rick points out it likes to curl up like copperweld. So some means of
fixing the far end is needed, like a ground staple. A local friend here
used big nails.

Corrosion will be quick and brutal if directly connected to copper. I
use plated terminal lugs or bronze for an interface between Al and Cu
along with black grease (sold in auto stores as molybdenum disulfide
lube). The moly lube does not have any copper but there seems to be
(after 30 years of experience) enough metal on metal contact that it
doesn't matter. You could always get some of the moly with copper
embedded that the electric supply houses sell for Al wiring but I have
never had a connection failure traceable to ordinary moly auto grease.

73 Art