Re: Topband: Aluminum radials?

To: "Kenneth D. Grimm,K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>, Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Aluminum radials?
From: Pete Ferrand <petef@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 01:08:11 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>

> Anyone else using the aluminum
>stuff?  I've seen it in 1/2 mile rolls

Hi Ken, I made a vee beam out of electric fence aluminum wire, about 400 feet
of wire in the air, and put about 500 feet in the ground. It's been up for four
years in the trees without a failure. What I've seen in the ground is in fine
shape and I replaced a support rope a month ago and it still looks perfect.

Contrary to what some were predicting, it does not craze, become brittle, etc.
After all it was made to have cows and horses walking into it.

Naturally YMMV depending on pollution, ground chemistry, and who know what but
it works fb here. It's amazing how much easier it is to handle due to the
lighter weight. You can get aluminum brazing rod with the Bernz-O-Matic name on
it at Home Depot to make connections, or use AL/CU connectors from the
electrical department.

Thanks for your efforts with BAMA, a real help to so many of us!

-Pete
WB2QLL
Somers, WI