Re: Topband: Low Dipole for RX

To: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>,topband reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Low Dipole for RX
From: GEORGE WALLNER <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:29:23 -0400

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:06:48 -0700 (PDT)
  GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyone using a low dipole on 160 for RX? By low, I mean
>8-10ft.

Steve,

I have used a low dipole for some time (now it is down due
to wind damage). Height was 15 feet and the total length
was 24 feet. I used a 9:1 transformer at the center, not
so much for matching but for isolation and to preserve
balance.

The antenna was useful. At certain times it was better
then my Pennant, but not often. If you don't have any high
performance RX antennas, you should put it up and try it:
what have you got to lose?

GL es 73,

George
AA7JV