Re: Topband: Difficult rxing in contest environments in EU

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Difficult rxing in contest environments in EU
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:46:55 -0800
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:56:02 +0100, Petr Ourednik wrote:

>found callers even 500Hz away!

>So what happends guys?

Two reasons. First, I think some operators are careless. Second, some
operators assume a pileup and purposely call a bit off frequency to
separate themselves from it. I notice that most JA operators call off
frequency. Here in the US, a lot of old-timers who only come out to
operate for a few hours during the contest will often call FAR off
frequency. These same guys seem not to be keeping a dupe sheet -- they
will often try to work me 3-4 times.

When band conditions are very crowded and I'm defending a narrow
frequency, I won't answer a call that's more than a 100-200 Hz off-
frequency call.  Two reason for that -- often, the off-frequency station
is actually calling someone else, and I don't want to risk a "not in
log" penalty. Second, it makes it harder for me to defend my frequency.

73,

Jim