Re: Topband: Difficult rxing in contest environments in EU

To: Björn Mohr <bm@broadcast.se>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Difficult rxing in contest environments in EU
From: "Petr Ourednik" <indians@xsmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:56:02 +0100
Björn,

as I am attending the contests on Topband also for long time I have
the same experiences. Unfortunatelly I have to say that highjacking
the QRG comes to be the trend or bad standard of lot's big gun stations.

From my experiences many times its better to leave far from them ->
of course "with the puck" :) instead of conflicts. As I heard in these
cases even it not help to ask them for QSY or so...

I tried to use for many years lot of radios like FT990, FT102, K2, K3,
Orion I and Omni V.9 but all the time I had to use filters as narrow as
available. Almost 100Hz BW can help in crowded band but as You already
mentioned off-frequency calling is big problem. Its pity in years of
modern digital radios like Orion, K3 etc. Many of op's calling so far
from
my QRG that I found callers even 500Hz away! I never had problem with
that
in 1988 when I used simple (not bad) M160 transceiver and many of us
used
home made gears.

So what happends guys?

73 - Petr, OK1RP