Re: Topband: Difficult rxing in contest environments in EU

To: "Wolf Ostwald" <df2py@t-online.de>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Difficult rxing in contest environments in EU
From: GEORGE WALLNER <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:34:51 -0500
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:22:42 +0100
  "Wolf Ostwald" <df2py@t-online.de> wrote:

> Dear reflectees !
>
> complaints of "not being heard
> in EU" ...mainly from the western part of the
>US.

Wolf,

I mostly agree with you: I was in Europe a couple of years
ago during the ARRL contest: I could not believe the
crowding and the noise. More reason to explore Tree's idea
of using more of the band: we really utilize only 50 kHz
of a 200 kHz band. I understand the problems of operating
split and other modes, etc., but we need to look at every
possibility. TB is becoming more popular, and we are not
likely to get additional spectrum, so things will get
worse. Therefore it is time to stop complaining and start
looking for solutions.

However, please also understand how hard it is to reach
Europe from the west. I used to live in AZ and could do 40
JA stations some mornings, but maybe one or two EU-s
during the whole contest! Note, that back then the JA-s
had to be worked split. That made it easy!

73,

George
AA7JV