Re: Topband: Recycled ferrites for 160m

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>, "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Recycled ferrites for 160m
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:30:04 -0800
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:49:27 -0800, Michael Tope wrote:

>I would also use a relatively
>low impedance for the shunt element in the voltage divider. This will
>reduce errors caused by probe and stray fixture shunt capacitance at
>higher frequencies (and also the phase angle error if the DUT is
>reactive and not resistive).

EXACTLY! There's nothing "magic" about 50 ohms -- it's simply a value that
we often get for free built into our spectrum analyzer voltmeter. We could
improve accuracy at lower values of unknown Z by using lower values of load
Z. Something as simple as adding a second 50 ohm load across the voltmeter
input yields a 2:1 improvement. One reason 50 ohms is convenient is that
there it's easier to find 50 ohm loads that are likely to be good to a
fairly high frequency. The tricky part is connecting them in parallel
without adding capacitance. :)

73,

Jim K9YC