Re: Topband: Recycled ferrites for 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Recycled ferrites for 160m
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:09:01 -0500

> YES.  One VERY important caution. Antenna analyzers typically have stray
> input
> capacitance on the order of 10 pF!  The equivalent circuit of a ferrite
> choke is
> a parallel equivalent circuit, and for most chokes the capacitance will be
> half
> that value. Thus, the analyzer can introduce considerable error.

Jim, you're talking about the finished choke, right?

Putting  -j11,000 ohms (8pF like my MFJ-259 @ 1.8MHz ) in parallel with
30+j50 or whatever my test winding shows is basically irrelevant.

If you try to measure the impedance of a finished choke, or sweep for
resonances like I suggested, there's probably a problem.  It's also a
problem to multiply excessively: "oh, I have 30+j50 with 1 turn through this
bead, so if I put 100 turns I'll get 30000+j50000"  ;-)

Then that -j30000 shunt capacitance of your winding matters a lot, and your
-j10000 of the analyzer even more ;-)

It's a good point and important.

What do you think about signal generator + 1kOhm-5kOhm resistor + high
impedance high frequency 10x scope probe?  That should be able to do OK from
a ham-at-home perspective at measuring the impedance in a voltage divider
setup, don't you think?

73
Dan