Topband: Small lot receiving array

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Small lot receiving array
From: H R SMITH <ron3cx3000a7@q.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:06:48 -0800
      I d like to thank Lee K7TJR for all his help in designing my 3 element
equilateral triangular receiving array. I ve been reading all the remarks about
antennas on small city lots, my lot is 85x126. The array only has a 44'6"
footprint. The array is madeup out of 3 20' sticks, beam elements that I had, a
controller that I built, Lee's design and RG6. I use Lee's high impedance amps
(3) and the controller has 6 directions. The xmit antenna is a 75' twr  shunt
fed with an M2 20M4 ontop and 64 radials covering @ a 180 deg area due to
location of my house. I use an MFJ 1026 along with an Ameco PT-3 with all my
receive antennas as needed. I had to go to a 16' noisesensing antenna to make
the 1026 play. I have been able to hear and work stations in Europe with the
array and 1026 combo that I could not hear on any other antenna even with the
1026. However for local work the array is too sharp and I use the loop which
seems to hear high angle signals better. I did lots of testin
 g and phone calls to Lee along with buying the EZNEC v 5.0 and an HP 8405
vector voltmeter off Ebay. I ve learned a lot about arrays and delay lines. I m
getting all I can out of this lot and will try to improve. Waiting for one more
black box, more testing and more to come. Ron  KB7ZR