Re: Topband: Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest
From: "Victor A. Kean, Jr." <vkean@k1lt.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:16:09 -0500
To clarify my suggestions about the CQ 160 test:

I think 4 character grid squares are enough, since typical QSO
distances on 160 are much greater than typical (but not every)
QSO distances on VHF.  I suppose 6 character grid squares would
be more challenging, but I think the tradition emphasises rate
over difficulty, which appeals to more people.

We would probably want to keep states, provinces, and countries
as multipliers for traditional and practical reasons.  First,
many participants in the contest are there to improve their
award standings, so working states and countries is their
primary goal.  Second, because there are people looking for
countries, other people are inspired to travel to exotic and
not so exotic locations to get more countries on the air.  Both
of these help drive participation.  I believe the Stew Perry
test appeals mostly to hardcore 160 types and hardcore contesters,
and not particularly to certificate chasers.

Also, each contest has a certain character, and I personally don't
particularly want to change the character of the CQ 160 too much.

Victor, K1LT