Re: Topband: Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest

To: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@surfvi.com>, "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>, "Victor A. Kean, Jr." <vkean@k1lt.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:32:02 -0500
At 1/7/2009 10:11 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:

>(3) My only objection has been the disproportionate advantage 10 point
>advantage that Caribbean stations located along the SA coast, only 350 miles
>south of me, have over other Caribbean and Central American stations. There
>is little chance when you have to take a 5 point reduction for NA stations
>when all other conditions are almost exactly the same.  In fact the distance
>from, lets say P4 in Aruba, is closer to the midwest and western stations.
>Yet they get twice the points for a W/VE mainland contact.  I know it isn't
>fair, and I can't ever win any top slots under those circumstances. But that
>is the way the contest was set up by its founder and I still think it is the
>best.  The same  disadvantage is true for C4 and EA8 which works NA stations
>and Europe for 10 pointers while Europeans are catching mostly
>intracontinental 5 pointers. We just need to work twice as hard to compete.

The same holds true for VE-W QSOs.  They are worth 5 points vs. the 2
point W-W or VE-VE QSOs.  There are a disproportionate higher number
of W entries than VE entries.  Considering that a majority of the VE
population is close to a W border, VE scores will usually be at least
twice as high as W scores for comparable QSO count and distance.