Topband: Reversible Bev using ladderline??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Reversible Bev using ladderline??
From: "Mike Bragassa" <bragassa@consolidated.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:43:41 -0600
All this good discussion re: WD1-A comm line is appreciated.

1.  ...But, how about ladderline, specifically 450 Ohm ladderline?
Having run 2 wire spaced 18"-24",  WD1-A and now 450 Ohm ladderline, I am
seeing, as I did with WD1-A,  attenuation of 2-3 S-units  in the reverse
mode.
Time to go back to the 2-wire, eh?
2. Speaking of ladderline:
The insulators I use are the type that clip into the windows of the
ladderline (VS: the type that let the wire "slip-along".)
I had no more put up my two ladderline reversible Beverages when hurricane
Ike made his very ugly appearance and both Beverages; each about 425 feet
long were brought to the ground....100 %! Brought to the ground by
surrounding trees that were brought down. Several places the ladderline was
damaged because the line was unable to slide through the insulator. The line
was basically tied to the tree or pole I had it mounted on. It was along for
the ride, it seems!
If I should stay with ladderline......is there some type of insulator, like
electric fence insulators, that are large enough to let the ladderline slide
through...easily w/o catching on the insulator?  Dim's are about 1" or 24cm
wide and.....maybe an 1/8 " thick.

Mike, K5UO
near Conroe, TX