Re: Topband: Vertical vs inverted V..

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical vs inverted V..
From: robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:06:10 +1100
I have an inverted V fed with tuned lines at 90 feet apex and a short 43
foot L/C top loaded vertical over 40 150 foot radials..
Extensive switch tests under many different band conditions show the
short vertical consistently 3 to 8db better on long haul dx.
There are sometimes band conditions which show no difference between the
two antennas..When 160 meters is conducting exceptionally well,
especially on the rise of AU conditions, testing both antennas quite
often shows little difference...The inverted V generally is better at
sunrise and sunset...I also find the inverted V a quieter S/N antenna
against the vertical under QRN conditions but signal strength is lower
than the vertical...

I have found that it pays to have a choice of both polarization's....I
tend to use the Vertical more in my evening Pacific excursions on
transmit...Prior to sunrise on the European path I tend to use the
inverted V as it is quieter and if I generate a pile up I don't like
switching back and forth although some EU stations indicate the vertical
is a few db better..

An interesting observation at my station is the front to side ratio of
the inverted V..The antenna is oriented East West and signals from Asia,
Japan etc are often 3 S units down compared to the vertical..

I would really like an ENZEC summary of my vertical...Maybe someone can
help..

Good Dxing.......Bob VK3ZL..