Topband: Unusual Propagation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Unusual Propagation
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
Working on antennas today I had the receiver on the Beverages... In the shack
testing the switching I thought I heard a call and turned the audio
up...Between 2030Z and 2034Z I heard clearly 3 DX stations  - G3PQA  S53O  and
ON6_AU - from Michigan (en73vk)

THe first two on 1813.7 and the other at 1816.6...  (I did copy the ON
clearly but didn't write the calls down immediately, went to the field again
and when I got back I have forgotten the one letter)
Anyway, my sun was still over 2 hours from sunset, being 30+ degrees up in the
sky...
The band was very quiet and the signals were right at the noise level but
Q5...  I'm not sure how the signals got here - ducting above the D layer?

denny / k8do