Re: Topband: 160 Rrceiving

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Rrceiving
From: "Chuck Hutton" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:06:50 -0700
OM Ken & fellow Topbanders,

I would not sell a 480 foot Beverage short.  They work.  Especially if
covered with plastic insulation, the velocity factor is close to 10 percent
vs. 5 percent for bare or enamelled wire, so the antenna is about one
wavelength (WL) long on 160 and two WL's on 80.

73 & GL        George    K8GG

George:

I agree that a 480 foot Beverage ought to be useful but the velocity factor
of a Beverage will likely be somewhere between .8 and .9, depending mostly
on height above ground and soil characteristics.

Chuck