Re: Topband: 160 Receiving

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Receiving
From: "John Rogers" <johnr1g3pqa@onetel.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:28:23 +0100
> I have to work within about 3 Acre back yard, fairly square, but two
> towers in it..  A beverage would be only about 480 feet long, IMHO too >
> short.
>> Ken K5WK

Hi Ken,
480ft is not too short for a beverage - especially as perhaps you could run
two along opposing sides in phase and get broadside gain, depending on what
directions your land faces and space available for wires. Most of us in UK
or crowded parts of EU would be over the moon with that space!
I used a single 350ft beverage for years, passing within 20ft of my tx
vertical, and it was a good rx antenna with about 20dB f/b and side
rejection.
Some people use "slinky" beverages in that kind of space (300ft or so).
See W8JI.com and ON4UN's book for detailed information on LF antennas.
73 gl DX160
John G3PQA