Topband: Fw: 160 Rrceiving

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fw: 160 Rrceiving
From: "George \(K8GG\) & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:09:20 -0400
Topbanders:

I would like to clarify what I wrote in response to Ken's original post.  I
wrote:

"Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Rrceiving  (sp!)

OM Ken & fellow Topbanders,

I would not sell a 480 foot Beverage short.  They work.  Especially if
covered with plastic insulation, the velocity factor is close to 10 percent
vs. 5 percent for bare or enamelled wire, so the antenna is about one
wavelength (WL) long on 160 and two WL's on 80.

73 & GL        George    K8GG  "

What I meant to say is that the velocity factor is reduced by about 10%, vs
5% for bare or enamelled copper wire, so the velocity factor is about 0.90,
and the actual antenna will be approximately one wavelength long.
Several learned Topbanders have pointed out that with certain insulation and
ground conditions the velocity factor for a typical Beverage antenna can be
0.80 to 0.90.

Also, if using the two wire WD1A telephone cable the velocity factor is
typically near 0.70.

73 again,    George    K8GG