Re: Topband: More - lightning protection on 4 sq

To: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More - lightning protection on 4 sq
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:04:59 -0500
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>

>     Adding 5 ohms reactance to the 160 meter 4-square elements is just
like tuning down frequency about 20kHz from a verticals resonance. They have
about 5 ohms reactance of their own then. Adding the arrestors to each
element is like moving the resonant frequency up about 20kHz. Fortunately
4-squares generally are very forgiving of their elements resonance. If your
4-square had good bandwidth before it likely will not change much except to
shift its design frequency up a little.
>     My 2 cents or .005 gallons.   Lee K7TJR OR

For mechanical considerations more than anything else, I would prefer to put
the Polyphasers at the phasing box end of the phasing lines rather than out
at the elements.  I realize this puts the phasing lines themselves at risk
but that is not of too much concern to me.  Does placement of the
Polyphasers on the phasing box end raise any particular concerns?

73. . .Dave
W0FLS