Re: Topband: 3" to 2"

To: "WY7I" <wy7i@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: 3" to 2"
From: "George \(K8GG\) & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:54:55 -0400
WY7I wrote:

Subject: Topband: 3" to 2"

> Argh!
>
> Has anyone found a way to join 3" to 2" aluminum irrigation pipe, probably
> using Schedule 40 PVC??
> I am drawing a blank, nothing seems to fit very well amongst the various
> adapters...
>
> WY7I

Another approach seen in ON4UN's "Low Band DXing" books is to machine a
couple of aluminum donuts or torroids 1+ inches thick with an ID that just
fits over the 2 inch irrigation tubing and an OD that just fits into the 3
inch irrigation tubing.   Spacing them about 12 inches apart should also
make a good transition.  Connect them as shown in the 40 meter beam
construction section where the transition is from a 2 inch OD section to a 1
or 1-1/8 inch section.

Also, why not ask the irrigation people what they think?
The irrigation companies may even make a tapered reducer to go from 3" to 2"
which would also solve your problem.

GL de George    K8GG