Topband: Skewed Path To South Pacific...?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Skewed Path To South Pacific...?
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:36:10 -0500
Good Morning All,

I wonder if those of you blessed with superior receiving antennas to mine here
may have noticed any skewness of the Australian path on the band this
morning...?

To-day was one of those rare days wherein the S/N ratio on received signals was
superior using my transmitting antenna (as opposed to my K9AY loops / N/S
Beverage). I struggled to copy VK3IO (469), as well as VK2AWD (339) with my
tri-angular phased array beaming N/W --- however, when I re-directed the
antenna to due north, Ron (IO) was a good 579 - 589, and AWD became a decent
569...

My array can only be re-directed in relatively coarse 45-degree steps, so there
was doubtlessly something lost in the way of "...fine tuning" here. Still, the
effect was VERY pronounced, and only served to make me pine for a
multi-Beverage array with 10-degree spacing! Hi Hi.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

PS: Nothing heard from TX5C here this morning...