Re: Topband: Topband BCB interference reduction

To: "Dave Kilpatrick" <kr4ja@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband BCB interference reduction
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:15:50 -0500
> I've had very good success with the ICE BCB filter on
> my RX antenna. The filter is mounted on the copper
> plate of my single-point-ground system just outside
> the shack and knocks an S9 +40 dB signal of the 50KW
> WSB-750AM down to S7 at 0.750 and to zero at 1.500. My
> suggestion is to make sure the filter is well
> grounded, as I think it's especially important with
> this type of filter.

If  grounding a filter like that really well helps the
performance.........it means your receiver, the filter, or
some connection between the receiver and the filter has a
bad shield connection.

If the shield integrity of the filter and the cables and
connections to the receiver is good the ground on the filter
won't make any difference at all for filter attenuation.

If you see a big change with a ground, better check the
shields between the RX and the filter!!!

73 Tom