Re: Topband: MN8-CX cores

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: MN8-CX cores
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:58:29 -0800
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:27:18 -0600, Cecil Acuff wrote:

>I guess I'll look for a suitable replacement for that purpose...something
>that will slip over RG-6 and LMR-400.

ON4UN is a smart guy, and I'm sure that his recommendations are solid, but
he's buying European products that are hard to find in the US. I doubt
very seriously that there are any ferrite products we NEED that Fair-Rite
doesn't make, and they are VERY ham-friendly if you approach them with a
PROFESSIONAL attitude and a quantity order. They also have a very good
distribution network if you poke around for it, and they're listed on the
website. Fair-Rite is a VERY good US company based in upstate NY.

See Appendix 1 of my tutorial for a list of specific Fair-Rite products
that make sense for a group purchase of parts suitable for common mode
chokes. Two of those parts are specifically intended for your use. You'll
also see two parts listed (a toroid and a "big clamp-on") that are
suitable for wound chokes.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

See also http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCCC-CoaxialChokesPPT.pdf

73,