Re: Topband: 1/8 wave vertical

To: <PaulKB8N@aol.com>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/8 wave vertical
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:27:33 -0500
> My point was that in an environment where either noise or
> other  signals are
> capturing an AGC, the bigger signal, even the one dB
> bigger signal,  will
> prevail.  That is because a receiver AGC can react to a 1
> dB  difference, even if
> the human ear may not.

AGC doesn't work that way.

It isn't a volume expander or gated threshold. It is a long
time hold gain control that operates on the total peak power
in the bandwidth of the system up to the point where AGC is
detected. A 1 dB change in a small signal where noise power
dominates still comes out as the same ratio.

Are you are confusing it with FM systems where a signal will
capture? If so, even that doesn't work with only a 1dB
difference.

73 Tom