Re: Topband: 1/8 wave vertical

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/8 wave vertical
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:45:04 -0800
>The human ear cannot tell a 1dB difference,

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Mistatement of reality. It depends completely on the conditions
under which the 1 dB change is made. A 1 dB change in the total
loudness of sound IS about what most listeners can identify as a
change. BUT: take a signal, mix it with noise or other sounds at
nearly the same level, and a 1 dB change in the signal (while the
noise stays constant) can be significant.

I work in the world of pro audio, and have mixed LOTS of live music.
The changes I'll make to a mix are often a dB or two, and they're
the difference between being musically "right" or "wrong."

Putting another face on it -- W8JI and K9DX have such bodacious
signals that another dB or so may not be a big deal for them. But
for those of us with more modest stations, I'm going to fight for
every half dB!

73,

Jim Brown K9YC