Topband: 1/8 wave vertical

To: rtnmi@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Topband: 1/8 wave vertical
From: doktorij@bellsouth.net
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:20:54 +0000
For what it's worth, I started out with a 55' base loaded vertical and it
worked OK. It was not the best for DX with 100W, but did manage to work the
folks with good ears. I went to a 78' vertical also base loaded and it worked
better. Base loading works, but is the least desirable option.

I also had a 46' wire Tee or Marconi vertical strung on the side of my AB-621
mast. It worked a heck of a lot better, managed 7th place in the 2005 ARRL 160
with it.

My best antenna now is a 72' Tee with about 60 ten to eighty foot long radials.
I'm five short of DXCC with 100w since 2006 when I put it up. It's aluminum and
wire.

Cheers,
Julius
n2wn