Topband: 4 Square

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 4 Square
From: David Cole <g3rcq@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:09:45 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all and Happy Holidays -

I have been listening to the 80m nets in the morning working the DX - time
after time I can only just hear the DX  but the stations working the DX give
s9+ reports-

I am receiving on a DX-Engineering 4 square - also have 4 reversable 250m
beverages.

This is not a one off - it happens everyday - my noise level is s1

(1) how much gain will a full size 4 square have over my DX Engineering 4
square (Tom if you read this help!!!!)

(2) The receive 4 square is better on 80 than my beverages - on 160 mostly the
same but sometimes the 4 SQ wins and sometimes the beverage is better.

Could be the location - but dont think so - my transmit signal always receives
excellent reports in keeping with other stations in the UK - Titanex with 75
150/200 foot radials

The receive antennas are in a separate field approx 3 wavelengths from the
Titanex.

Its just puzzling me and I really am looking for a direction to improve the
receive - any ideas - or any other experiences similar to mine?

Dave G3RCQ