Re: Topband: Size of K9AY Loop

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Size of K9AY Loop
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:28:01 -0800 (PST)
I asked Gary, K9AY, this very question. Here is his response to me on Oct 3,
2007:

  "The loop's published size (25 feet high, +/-15 feet to the corners) is about
2/3 the maximum size for 160M. At one point, I was using one 30 feet high and
+/-20 feet to the corners, which worked well on 160, but had a lousy pattern on
80 -- this is with just a resistor for termination. You can use the larger loop
on 80 with a resistor-and-capacitor in series as the termination, but I have
done very little study of it."

  So it would seem that the max size for a single band, 160 loop, would be
about 33 feet on a side. Going larger than that disorts the pattern and
degrades the cardiod pattern and F/B ratio.

  73, Dennis W0JX/8