Re: Topband: 400 Ft. RG6

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 400 Ft. RG6
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:27:06 -0500
> I think a preamp is more of a personal choice.  As others
> said, it will help
> balance out the audio volume of the Beverage with the
> volume of the TX
> antenna.  But, I don't listen on the TX antenna at all on
> either 80 or 160
> yet I still prefer using the preamp.  I don't know why; my
> ears just prefer
> it!

I have feedlines as long as 3000 feet and still amplify only
in the house or barn. Not at the antenna.

It's more than a matter of preference. Sometimes it is
necessary, sometimes not. Depends on the selectivity used in
the receiver, the receiver, directivity of the antennas, and
noise floor of the site.

With the narrowest selectivity filters in the receiver if
you can't hear a clear increase in noise level when you
connect the antenna and a clear noise decrease when the
antenna is removed, you need a preamp.