Re: Topband: 400 Ft. RG6

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 400 Ft. RG6
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:24:11 -0500
> I'm wanting to do a beverage on 160 and was wondering if 400 Ft. of RG6 is
to long? will I need a preamp?

As others have said, no, that's not too long.  I use 1000' runs of RG6 for
some of my Beverage antennas.  I later started using RG11, only because I
bought a bunch (10,000 feet!) of it off e-bay new for less than what I was
paying for the new RG6.  But, I really can't tell the difference in the
signal and noise levels on the ones that use RG6 vs. the ones that use RG11.

I think a preamp is more of a personal choice.  As others said, it will help
balance out the audio volume of the Beverage with the volume of the TX
antenna.  But, I don't listen on the TX antenna at all on either 80 or 160
yet I still prefer using the preamp.  I don't know why; my ears just prefer
it!

73
Tom NI1N