Re: Topband: Recent Conditions

To: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: Recent Conditions
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:28:03 -0500 (EST)
My observations here in Ohio would call last season a bit of a dud, and
this one just about the same.

It is my opinion that "0" sunspots is
generally bad news for HF conditions.  All bands.  I think that 160
conditions are best when the flux is NOT bottomed out, but up a little,
with a low A and K index. I also think that AFTER a good morning or
evening on 160 one will note that the A and K have gone up from the
day before.  I think that has been mentioned here by others. It doesn't
allow one to forecast 160 conditions because we get those numbers after
the change has "happened".

160 is a unique animal.  Just a couple mornings ago there were dozens
of pretty good JA signals in here, but only one or two weak ones on 80.
It's often the opposite situation. The only answer is to be there every
day and check the bands.

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place