Re: Topband: Recent Conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Recent Conditions
From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:45:27 +0000
At 01:29 05/12/2007, you wrote:

>W2PM Responds:
>... BUT
>how is the SFI still in the low 70's when there have been no sunspots?
>I recall the last minima has SFIs in the low 50's, maybe lower.

I'm not sure that 50's are valid numbers for the SFI, at least for
the values we see reported on a daily basis; I don't recall seeing it
lower than 65.  I'm sure that others on the list could clarify further.

   The SFI hardly got down into the high 60's during the the last
solar minimum, 1996-1997; see
http://www.drao-ofr.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/icarus/www/daily.html for
daily values

This past summer, we had a number of runs of mid to high 60's for
SFI, so it seems that this minimum might have been a little quieter
than the last one.

As for conditions seeming poorer as one approaches midwinter in spite
of low solar and geomagnetic indices, medium wave DXers (listeners)
have noticed this for years, but no-one seems to have come up with an
explanation.   At one time, it was suggested that stratwarms were
associated with periods of higher absorption in the winter months,
but K9LA was not able to find any correlation when he looked at it.

best wishes,

Nick
VE7DXR