Re: Topband: EWE / K9AY

To: DL8LAS <dl8las.dr5x@kielnet.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: EWE / K9AY
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:18:32 -0800 (PST)
--- DL8LAS <dl8las.dr5x@kielnet.net> wrote:

> HELLO,
>
> anybody compared  the EWE antenna to a K9AY???
>
> if yes, what are the results???

Yes, I have. The answer is: "It Depends".

If both are installed out in an empty field well away
from anything else, the EWE has always shown me
slightly better RX performance. However, if you
install them in the usual cluttered urban site, the
results can and will vary dramatically.

Everything else being equal, the slight edge EWE has
in performance is usually offset by the K9AY being
more versatile and easier to construct. Lately I have
been using EWE's when I can't have the Beverages up in
the field however I also have a K9AY setup that I can
throw up in a couple hours if the need arises.

I would suggest that you put up EWE's, K9AY's, as well
as Flag's and anything else you can possibly manage.
There ain't no free lunch.

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg - central WA