Topband: reflections on contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: reflections on contest
From: "Alfred Lorona" <w6wqc@dslextreme.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:01:12 -0800
Reflections on the 160 meter cw contest from the west coast.

Why is it that the east coast is coming in S9+ but they can't hear me?
Obviously one-way propagation. Deal with that you one-way propagation nay
sayers.

Why is it that  2's, 3's, 4's, etc., build up to S9+ then fade away but a
mid-west 5 at S9+ remains steady all the while? Obviously he's stretching the
rules a bit and cranking 5 kilowatts. How else can you explain it?

Contesters are divided into two groups: Those that call cq all the time and
those that answer cq's all the time. (They never call cq because they know
nobody will answer them). But why is it that the station that answers a cq is
always a multiplier you need and you can't work him because at the termination
of the exchange the cq'er starts right in again.

Why is it that you can call a station in the next county that is S9+ and he
can't hear you but, in desperation, you call an east coast station that is
waist deep in the noise and he comes right back?

Why is it that your 100 watts and a sloper lets you believe that you have a
chance at the final standings for your section but a qrp'er loading 3 watts
into a  wet noodle racks up a total that is 10 orders of magnitude larger than
yours?

Why doesn't the ARRL inject a category for most 'calls gone unanswered' so that
us non achievers can feel good. I mean, our self esteem is shot, guys. Have a
heart!

Why is it that in spite of all of the above, we look forward to the next top
band cw contest with eager anticipation?